Monday, June 29, 2009

Monday, June 29th

Approaching the Bahamas Saturday night



Dinner first night
Our OFFICIAL meeting site




Cards at the Nassau airport Sunday afternoon
It's been an amazing 24 hours!!! We spent several hours in the Nassau airport yesterday waiting for our little airplane to fly to Marsh Harbour--it ran about 45 minutes late, and the Bahamasair officials always apologized about that whenever they made an announcement. When was the last time you heard that from an airline! When we arrived after a peaceful 30 minute plane ride to the small town here, Pastor Campbell, our host at the church we are staying at, greeted us, helped us with our luggage, and drove most of us to the church. I talked to a young man behind one of the two counters inside the airport building who led me to our rental minivan, and then I drove behind the bus the pastor drove--ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE STREET!--while Todd did navigation duty in the passenger seat. The beautiful building that is the church is built right on the edge of the sea--I am temporarily a hero for having been so lucky to "find" this place--courtesy of Lyn Major's recommendation--she is the school's director. What a peaceful setting for our work this week. Some of the ladies of the church had cooked us a delicious dinner of baked chicken, a delicious rice dish, salad, vegies, and a to-die-for chocolate cake. Pastor Campbell then took us to Every Child Counts school so we would know where it was, then said goodnight. After gathering together for our nightly meeting outside at oceanside, we set up our beds in the assigned rooms and then played a particularly loud game of hearts.

Today, we arrived at ECC shortly after 8:00 and talked to a couple teachers who greeted us. Once we reviewed our work list--everything from scrubbing walls to prepare them for painting tomorrow, to clearing a room and washing the floor to paint IT tomorrow, to putting up shelves in a garden shed, to fixing various doors, windows, and cabinets--Todd and I made a supply list and went shopping at the hardware store across the street with the project funds we all contribute. I brought him and the supplies back to the school, and then Ellen and I went grocery shopping for lunch and breakfast the next 4 days. When we returned, everyone else had already made a serious dent in our project chores and were ready for food and Gatorade and water. It's been a humid day--lots of rain off and on and very little sun. The breeze feels wonderful. Since lunch, we've been scrubbing walls and fixing doors.

I'll upload a few pictures for you and then the teachers are ready to go home, so I will update you on our adventures more tomorrow. Take care!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like an amazing trip. I wish you all just enough - just enough sleep to feel rested but not so much you miss out on late night card games and long talks. Just enough food that your hunger is satisfied but not so much you can't get up and play soccer with the school kids. Just enough work that you accomplish what you set out to do, but not so much you forget to enjoy the task. And finally, I wish an unconditionnally happy birthday to my sister, Kathryn, who I love more than anything. I miss you Bean and wish I could be there to play games, rescue you from hand size bugs and almond ants, take unreasonably cold showers and contract rabies from local dogs... I hope you are having an unforgettable birthday and I can't wait to celebrate with you in August. Bring something back for me, but make sure that it's not a most-regrettable-purcahse of the trip. And be sure to sing Eye of the Tiger to Todd at some point - as I recall its one of his favorite songs. Happy Birthday Bean! Lovie dovie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, thank you for your wonderful accounts of each day! Blessings for all of the work that the group is doing for these kids and their staff.

    Please give a big hug to my Birthday Girl, Kathryn. Birthdays are a day of gifts, and I am so proud of her and the way she is giving back today. (Sounds like that might include lots of painting!)

    I wish you all fun times, not-too-sore muscles, cooling breezes, and good cards tonight!

    Happy Birthday to Kathryn, one of the two most wonderful daughters in the world :), from her very proud mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom and Bean - Julie called me over to read these birthday comments (I hadn't been on the computer yet). I definitely started crying in front of half the work team. And thanks for the "unconditionally" happy birthday wishes, Bean!

    It's been raining today - all day - but that's not going to stop us from going out in the ocean right outside the church we're staying in after work. I got to go snorkeling for the first time yesterday with Todd, AJ Stockwell, Craig Dotseth and Derek Vance yesterday! It was AMAZING! We've been playing cards and singing enough to make you proud, and I even sampled one of the "local favorites" conch shell burger and plantain fries. AND... be excited... I get to put all my mad culinary skills to work tomorrow night when AJ and Derek and I cook dinner for the team!

    I love you tons and miss you both and will come home with good stories, photos and bug bites.

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete